Week two
Lab
This week in the lab we first went over NGSS (next-generation science standards). We learned about the three main dimensions of learning science. What are your practices, core ideas, and crosscutting. We also talked about four domains of disciplinarian ideas (physical science, life, science, earth, and space, science, and engineering). We then navigated through the NGSS website. We went over how to read the code in titles of different sections and the performance mix expectations that are included within each standard.
Finally, we talked about the eight core characteristics of living things. After going over the different characteristics, we then created a large poster paper information sheet. On the sheets, my group chose different prescriptions for the different characteristics. After we finished writing, we also added different drawings to better introduce the characteristics.
Focus Questions:
What did you learn this week?
One thing I learned about this week was the NGSS. Before this class, I had no previous knowledge of the standards for learning science.
Are you able to relate what you learned to what you already knew?
When it comes to the core characteristics of living, I knew that most of them can be related to living things, but now I know which characteristics are a specific part of the main 8.
How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?
I feel like I could take the eighth or characteristics and break them into easier to understand descriptions and examples. This would allow students a chance to learn about different aspects of living things.

Comments
Post a Comment