week12
This week in discussion, we talked about different properties of matter which include mass texture, shape, density, volume, and more. We then started our activity. We were given a bunch of different materials like crayons, erasers, wood, aluminum, and other objects. With our table groups within collected data on whether or not the different materials will sink or float, the mass they have, and how to differentiate between a big piece and a small piece, if two different pieces would have the same volume. We also tested whether the materials will conduct electricity, or be attracted to magnets.
Focus Questions:
What did you learn this week?
One main thing that I learned from this week was whether or not certain materials will sink or float. Some of the materials that were tested I predicted would actually sink and vice versa. For example, I thought that a paper clip would have floated, but it actually sank.
Are you able to relate what you learned to what you already knew?
I already knew about objects of different sizes. We’ll have different masses. As an activity we were able to test out the mass of the same material that was two different sizes which we found that the bigger size of material had a larger mass.
How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?
One thing that I learned about through this week's discussion was how fun it is to use hands-on activities during science. I could use these experiments with my future class that early so that they are able to have fun doing science, but are also able to gain a better understanding of mass.
Comments
Post a Comment