week 7

 Lab

This week in discussion we participated in more hands-on activities rather than a full on discussion. We did start class by talking about more genetic materials and vocabulary that we would need to know for the following exam. We did two main activities this week, the first one involved creating our own DNA strands out of candies. With our partners we created double helix strands that consisted of the backbone of the helixes, and then the two main types of base pairs. After we finished creating our strands, we also worked on a gene list of partners to create our baby faces. Throughout the packet, we flip a coin to determine what the dominant gene would be, which also determines how each aspect of our child would look like. After finishing the packet and creating our baby we also answered some questions about vocab and personal preferences. 




                                                                                      Michael ^


 Focus Questions:

  1. Are you able to relate what you learn to what you already know?

  • I believe that I was able to gain a refresher over how genetic materials are organized when creating different traits, whether they be phenotypes or genotypes. I remember using punnett squares when learning about how dominant recessive genes work in science classes in high school. 


  1. Which part did you find clear and which you were confusing? 

  • When I participated in the double helix creation, I think it was very easy to follow directions and understand the main idea. But when we were working on the baby face worksheet, I was confused about how to correctly do the trades that involve multiple flips like the eye color. 

  1. How can you apply? What do you learn from your teaching in the future?

  • The main thing that I feel like I could take from this week's discussion is the activities themselves. I thought being able to create the helix as our self hands-on was really fun, but I think it will help keep kids interested, especially since it involves candy. I also like the work packet on the baby face activity even though some parts were a little confusing for myself. I also feel like both activities could be used for different grades.


Comments

  1. Hi Yazzmenn! I completely forgot about punnett squares until reading your blog! I remember doing those too in middle school and high school. Using these activities in your own classroom is a great idea and something that I want to do too. I think the candy activity is something that kids are going to really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

week 6

week 14

week 4

Week three

week 8

week 13

week 10

Week two

week12